Monday, January 28, 2008

Days of Aussies & BBQs!

Hi!

Well. Apologies. Late again. Two reasons (kinda) 1) It was Australia Day weekend and we got today (Monday) off from work, which kinda made me lose track of the days and 2) Went to a BBQ last night and by the time I got home it was time for bed...... Yeah, pretty weak excuses both of them, but them's why I didn't check in on time! But here I am!

So the week was REALLY good! I finally found out that I can stay at my little job until the end of March (when that perm part-time gal comes to boot me out of mah gig). So that's been a bigbigbig relief. I mean, there's no reason why I can't keep looking for another gig, even tho the boss's have cryptically said repeatedly "You just never know what could happen in two months....." I just want to stay with them as long as I can cos I like it so much. But, there's at least one I can apply for, two pay levels above mine! So will submit that for tomorrow (eeek - must finish application!). Otherwise, all's well, if anything, am getting busier. Love it. Makes the days go by and I feel useful!

And then the weekend. We started this little thing every other Friday or so, a couple of us go over to the pub after work. It's nice. Bad for Savings Lockdown, but then, I knew this weekend would be.......... So Friday evening was nice. Saturday was Australia Day (basically celebrating the arrival of the First Fleet, much to the Aborigine's chagrin, I'm sure) and even tho I was invited to two shin digs, I opted to stay home, try to save a teeny bit of cash, and clean the house. Moved the furniture around in the teeny living room (made a difference - now half the furniture is in my bedroom! Can't wait to get rid of it! C'mon Ikea!) My god I hadn't given the little apt a good once-over since before Xmas - shudder -. Not that it was that bad, and it's not like I have an army living here, but, yeah. But after I finished my chores I made sure that in honor of Australia Day I had an Australian beer (Little Creatures Pale Ale - mmmmmm) and watched an Australian movie - "Crackerjack" - very funny, about an ailing lawn bowls club...... it's cute. Apparently, it was this movie that helped make lawn bowls "cool" for younger kids again. Otherwise, it seems a sport strictly for anyone over 60. I have to say, I have the best days out playing lawn bowls. Yeah. So that was my Australia Day. Productive! Nice!

And Sunday. Natasha's friend Sam had a BBQ at her - get this - 65th floor high-rise apartment. Heck, who knew it was even legal to have so much as a hibachi at that level! But there she was commandeering this massive BBQ on her balcony (all enclosed in glass panels and steel beams, of course). And did I bring my camera? I forgot didn't I???! Kicking self. She has the most amazing view. She promised to have us over more often, so here's hoping I don't forget my camera this time. But the day was nice, nice to catch up with Sam and her boyfriend Paul. Poor guy, he's a butcher and managed to nearly chop off the middle finger of his right hand. He's pretty sure the Docs are going to lop it off as it's not doing anything like healing or moving. Poor guy. So he's off work for another 8 weeks or so. Man. I'd probably lose my mind (not to mention the finger) after that long and not being able to run around much. But was nice to have a BBQ and meet a few new folks!

And today, quiet enough. Met Natasha at the pub so she could eat (I was good - Savings Lockdown!) and that was about it. I finally signed up with the video store there (right across from the pub - how convenient!), tho didn't rent anything, yet. But man, it's a far cry from that little closet near my old place in Spring Hill - they didn't even have "Dr. No" in stock! This video store seems to have a really good selection. And get this - they need a full-time supervisor...... The gal couldn't tell me how much it pays, but hey, if they still need someone at the end of March.........!!! Hahahahaa, never in a hundred years would I get back into that! Stupid hours, stupid customers, stupid staff? No way Jose! But if it's a matter of being employed.......

And that's about that. Busy, yet quiet weekend, if that makes any sense. Oh, and get this, the whole thing about work keeping me until the end of March is that they finally put me onto their books! That means I can earn vacation and sick time and stuff like a normal person, like I used to! Hooray! Too bad I only have 8 weeks! But, believe me, I am SO taking a paid day off the minute I have one saved up! Wanna go see the massive Andy Warhol exhibit that's ending in March at the Modern Art Museum. Cool man!

So there you are. Sorry for being late again. will try to be more boring on the weekends to make press-time on time!!!

BYE!
J!
Weekly: One Good Thing About Little Apartment #24: The walls are plaster - so my neighbor gal can't really hear it if I turn the music or tv up too loud!

No comments:

Eating Pizza and Reading eBooks with Crickets on New Rugs.......!

Hi! Well. Here we are, waaaay late but I guess that was expected............. am sorry. I've planned on checking in each week...