Sunday, June 18, 2017

Eating Pizza and Reading eBooks with Crickets on New Rugs.......!

A worker works - in a statue relief in Copenhagen
Hi!

Well. Here we are, waaaay late but I guess that was expected............. am sorry. I've planned on checking in each weekend but the time just gets away from me sometimes. There just aren't enough hours in a weekend........! Anyways, we're here now - it's been a beautiful yet rainy and cool weekend, which is always a treat after six months of summer and knowing "winter" only lasts a month at the longest. The chores have all been done, laundry is all clean and happy and put away, the little apartment is tidy for another week of work. But, here we are now, got the always hip n' groovy jazz tunes, got a lovely glass of the new standby sparkling Prosecco, yes, life is good!

So, work. Yep. Was pretty quiet this past week, but that could also be another lull before a mountain
At least my work doesn't involve an ice drill..........
of work like the last couple of weeks have been. Quiet... quiet...... quiet...... then, bam! Mountain of work. But word on the street is the horrible project is coming back to darken my doorstep, although, am not sure why as the hours I put into editing their stuff the first time around was entirely ignored. I shudder to think of the state of it all now; I don't expect it to be much improved. Well, whatever, if they want to pay me to remind them what good technical writing should be, and then ignore my suggestions, so be it, it's their budget. Sigh. Ahhhh well, it is what it is and am always thankful and, errrrrr, 'happy' to have it - gainful employment that is!


Apple Custard Tart - NOM!And then there have been a few weekends in there........ They too have been pretty quiet....... Just the usual chores, French Macarons - never made 'em, pretty good first effort!and now that the weather has cooled off, much baking. I love baking - got a new baking cookbook and it's all I can do to just narrow one thing down to make! Have made a couple things with pretty good results so far! YUM! And then have been catching up on somewhat-neglected home computery things. Amazing how much time that can chew up. I spent the last few weekends fighting to get all my ebooks on and off my little tablet and into the e-library on my laptop - still haven't got there yet. I somehow have over 1,100 and lots of The IT Dept is not impressed.those are double and triple copies, not at all sure how that  happened. Wierd. But that takes hours and hours to play with. Anyways, weekends have been relaxing and quiet aside from baking up a storm and computer maintenancey stuff. It's tough staring at a computer for 8+ hours a day five days a week and then try to summon the will to do more of it in the evenings and weekends. Maybe I should start writing on big, yellow notepads and then transcribe it on the weekends - probably get more done that way! Old skool!

Lola likes it...... really!Otherwise, weather's been really really nice, tho a couple weekends ago it rained a lot, something we're not really used to here, especially in winter (the "Dry Season"). And we were threatened all the last few weeks that this weekend would be more of the same and it actually finally happened! Only took them a month of forecasting the same thing over and over again. Last weekend it was so nice I even took the car out for a spin and the debit card a workout. Ran errands I haven't run in ages - pet store, auto parts store - where the manager himself came out to check and run tests on my car's battery, which is in great shape if I say so myself, although low on a charge but that was because I'd just taken it out of the carport ten minutes earlier, and Pillow Talk (pillows, sheets, little rugs, etc). It was a good afternoon. Kittehs got a new scratching post and some crickets to chase and eat, the car got a little battery Mmmmmmmm crickets?!charger, and the bathrooms got new little rugs. Then, home and starving, I splurged and ordered pizza via Uber Eats. And y'know what, it was so totally worth the $$$$$ (which is to say, for what it is it's not actually that expensive). Ordered from local institution La Dolce Vita. Sooooo, so good. I'd actually been to the restaurant before but it's been yeeeeeears. Damn, it was good. I don't do it very often but when I do I make sure to get a few meals out of it, make it worth the effort. Heh, "effort". It's all done through your smart phone. The toughest thing is opening the front door and carrying the noms to the kitchen! And that has been pretty much the last few weekends - you haven't missed much as I'm sure you knew.

And that brings us to the next installment of the Big Nordic Adventure! So, up bright and early, I left Kirkenes - 1,406 miles to the North Pole!Oslo for Kirkenes at the northern tippy top of Norway (with Russia just three miles away)! I arrived in the late morning and got to my hotel just in time to get a few amazing pictures of my view beforeThe view from my room along the harbor-front! the sun set for the day! It's a breathtakingly beautiful place. Tiny, tiny little town but it's right on the edge of fjords that lead out to the Barents Sea. It's also the last/first stop for the Hurtigruten coastal voyage that goes up and down the length of the Norwegian coast. I just rode it overnight from Kirkenes to Skjervoy, but I'd love to do the round-trip from Bergen and back, just not in winter next time!

Beautiful, snowy downtown!And seeing as it was mid-winter, hence why the sun set around 2pm, the place was covered in snow and ice, and while I gave it a good try, my snow boots, awesome as they are, weren't necessarily made for walking on slick, lumpy, icy sidewalks and streets. I madeMmmmmmmmmmmmmm fish soup - best lunch ever! two tentative laps around the hotel before nearly ending up on my behind right in front of the main dining room before I called it a "night" and went back inside for a late lunch and a glass of wine. And I have to say, lunch was soooooooooooooooooo gooooooood! A type of fish soup that they do in Norway and it was The Best. Not a lot to it but my god it was good. I think I've said it before, I wasn't afraid of going hungry once on this trip - the food was so, so good. Not so good for strict vegetarians, but excellent for meat and fish eaters!

Another short day ends......
And then after lunch I wandered around the inside of the hotel for a bit before heading back to my room to relax and get a sinkful of laundry done. A little side-note, if you ever want to travel light and need to do hand washing along the way, I picked up this awesome little clothesline from good ol' Rick Steves' store and I have to say it was the best $10 bucks I spent for the trip. Got every dime out of itThat view! and then some! Highly recommend it. And then I watched a bit of TV, heh, watch is all I could do because my Norwegian wasn't up to scratch, and just decided to call it a night. It's wierd when the sun goes down that early, even tho it's only say, 3 in the afternoon, if you're from anywhere in the middle of the world as opposed to the very top or very bottom, your body clock says, 'right, bedtime!'

Next day I was up and down in time for breakfast. At every hotel I Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer for breakfast!stayed, breakfast was included, and it wasn't just some sorry piles of cereal and yogurt, it was the whole nine yards - hot food, all the cold stuff, fruits and local meats and cheeses - so, so good. It was great. And the hours it's available are humane as well, usually 6.30 until 10.30am. Excellent for folks like me who like to sleep in, even while on vacation! Then it was up to my room to get myself together in time to meet the boat, the Kong Harald, at noon-ish for the next leg of the Adventure. But as I was getting my things together there was a knock on my door - it was my friend from here in Brisbane, Julian! Long story short, we were traveling sort of parallel to each others' itinerary, and I knew we'd meet up in Norway at some point but his plans kept shifting. But that morning while I was Julian's here!having breakfast, he messaged that he'd arrived with the boat that we were going back out on that day (the cruise turns around and heads south again) and wanted to meet up for a wander around town before getting on the boat. Cooooool! Pretty trippy to see a friend from home when you're so far from home! And thankfully, having mentioned how slick and icy things were up around there, he brought me a pair of slip-on spikes for mah boots! So, spikes donned, off we went to explore the little town of Kirkenes. And boy, those spikes were most excellent - highly recommend picking some up if you find yourself in that kind of environment - I didn't slip or skitter once!

What can I say about Kirkenes....... It's small but has everything you need - library, little stores and boutiques, pizza, bars, etc, and like in southern California, or anywhere along the border of Mexico, everything is in two languages - Norwegian and Russian, although everyone speaks perfect English. We had enough time to do, basically, two circles around the townThe local church! center before we had to get back to board the boat. It's just a little place but they apparently have a local history museum, the Borderland Museum, worth checking out and the Gabba Reindeer Safari Park is also meant to be worth a look and a pat. Unfortunately, we had time for neither because they're out of town a little bit and we were running out of time. But if I were to go back (And I really, really hope I do) I'd love to check them out!

Our ride south - the Kong Harald!
So, after I checked out of the hotel we made our way down to the boat. Julian had ridden it all the way up from Bergen so he was, basically, just on an extended shore visit. Once on the boat and afterThe sun sets on another short day! checking in (why do I always end up last, behind the big, Chinese tour groups???), I dumped my things in my little room (cabin?) and he gave me the tour. It was nice dumping bags and going for a wander as everyone else was settling into their rooms so we had most of the boat to ourselves. We stood out on the back deck and watched as we pulled away from port and sailed through the fjords - but we could only enjoy it for about half an hour as the sun had set!

After bidding Kirkenes farewell, we went in and explored some more, had a drink at the bar, then went to dinner. It was really nice, good food, and all the crew were so nice, friendly, and laid-back, very relaxed and always had time for a chat (Julian, having sailed with them for the last 6 days, knew every member of crew!). But it was during dinner that our waiter informed us that later that evening, as we rounded the tip of Norway headed south, we were in for some serious rough waters due to the meeting of the Barents andOnward, to Adventures! Norwegian seas. Yikes. We watched as the word spread through the dining room and folks practically dropped their forks and headed for their rooms and staff started to anchor things down or stowed it all away. We were hours from that yet so Julian, having brought along a bottle of Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum to celebrate both our Big Nordic/European Adventures, we headed back to his cabin for a little glass of rum before heading back out to the main deck to do laps - gotta get your exercise while trapped on a boat!

A chilly turn around the deck!After a few laps around the boat the seas started to get really rough. Well, at that point it was more the wind than anything else. We were the only ones out on any of the decks and didn't think things were too bad, until we rounded the front of the boat and the combination of wind and a few waves (and maybe one too many nips of rum) and I was blown back onto the deck! I held onto the rail as the wind knocked me down but lordy, the wind and waves made it tricky to get back up. Anyways, I got back up while Julian laughed at me and we powered on, commenting how rough things were getting andNot chilly enough for Icelandic wool and the Cadillac of winter coats! maybe we should think about calling it a night. Earlier in the evening the Captain had made an announcement that we'd start to enter rough seas around 11.30, midnight, and at that point it was only around 9.30, 10pm. We came around the corner and nearly ran smack into two of the biggest Viking sailors you'd ever seen. Apparently, the Captain had seen us blowing around out on the decks and angrily demanded we be brought in, that it was too rough for folks to be out there. We felt like little kids and straightened up and followed the one Viking in with the other trailing to lock the door behind us. Busted! We found out the next morning just how pissed the Captain was at us from Julian's crew-member friends. Gulp. I felt bad but Julian just shrugged it off. It was sure fun tho!

Anyways, after I wandered back to my room, the seas did get super rough and I think I got maybe an Huskies watch the comfy but tippy bed!hour or two of sleep. I wasn't sick but was sure wobbly. I alternated between sleeping on the floor of my little room and the bed - I couldn't decide which felt more stable! It was only when we drifted back into the shelter of the fjords when the rocking back and forth stopped and I could get some sleep. But, next thing I knew it was morning and Julian and I were meant to meet to go explore Hammerfest when the boat docked. Having slept through the breakfast service (damn!) I Aaarrrrgggggghhhhh! Gggrrrrrrrrrr!quickly got ready and rushed down to meet him. We had a nice, brisk wander through town and up along a road/cliff just to see the view. And then had to hustle back down to get back to the boat on time. Hammerfest is a pretty little place with a really, really cool Polar Bear Society Museum right near where the boat docks that I only got to spend about five minutes in. It'd be a nice little town to explore......... Again, will have to make another visit!

Bye bye, pretty Hammerfest!
And then we were back on the boat for most of the day/evening until we arrived at our respective departure ports, me at Skjervoy and Julian at Tromso, where our paths split until we met up again in northern Sweden a week or so later................. Which is where I will give you a break and pick up the next chapter next week (no really, next week, honest.....)!

The beeeeeeeauuuuutiful fjords and villages around Skjervøy!So, aside from taking forever and a day to check in, all is well down here. Busy with the usual stuff, work, home, chores, baking, fighting with the computer, errands, the usual! I hope you've all been well up there? I see summer is settling in some parts of the country - stay strong folks, splurge and use the a/c and drink lots of water! Or, if you need a break, we'll have glorious weather until November-ish, so, c'mon down!!!!!

BYE!
~ J!
 Happy Swedish flora!

No comments:

Eating Pizza and Reading eBooks with Crickets on New Rugs.......!

Hi! Well. Here we are, waaaay late but I guess that was expected............. am sorry. I've planned on checking in each week...