Sunday, November 19, 2006

Wireless Schoolies





Hi!

Well, I'll start right off and say no. Nothing was done this weekend. Nothing at all. Well, ok, I did little things, like repaired my wireless internet connection (hooray for unsecured connections!!!!), repaired my DVD burning program, took some naps, went to the grocery store (I tell ya, bleach, Ajax, dish soap, bar soap, toothpaste, hand soap, it all weighs a bloody ton carrying it up a mean hill, then 3 flights of stairs, after which, of course, I needed a nap)... Yeah. It was a veryvery dull, yet quietly productive, weekend. Lovely weather. Although, at one point last week it got a bit gross - mid-90's with what felt like 100% humidity. Eeewww. Hint of what's to come in summer...... And then the next day it was cool and dry. Ahhhhh, spring. The day it was murderously hot and gross here, they had snow down in Tasmania. And the day after, they apparently had snow in the southwest of Queensland; it's a massive state. So that's like saying it was hot and gross in Tucson with snow up in Flagstaff. But otherwise the weather's been perfect here. So nice that the pool's been packed out. I haven't been back in it yet this season, but lots of other folks have. Gotta get in early or late I've noticed. Pretty busy during the weekends. Lots of folks doing dive bombs. It's pretty funny to hear, actually.

Otherwise, work is fine. Amazingly enough, we actually did not lose anyone this past week (though I stayed home with a rotten tension headache Thursday and considered not going back, but the bank told me I kinda had to if I wanted to stay in my apartment and not a bridge underpass). But, the people who've left have yet to be replaced, so we're still insanely over-worked and understaffed. Status quo. Yet, the call centre has so many new people they can't find enough seats for them..... Hmm. But then, all they do in the call centre is talk to people about what classes they can do. They don’t need to be trained up in all the things we do. Sigh. That’s less than 12 hours away….. I’ve actually spent a tiny part of my weekend brushing the dust off my previous application for the same job I’m doing now… Long story short – if I want a shot at staying past Dec. 31st. (when my little "contract" expires) I have to apply for my job, again, so I can stay until June – if I get it. Good chance I may not, and will be unemployed come Jan 1st. Sigh. Government.

So yes, sadly, another very dull little blog entry. Am sorry. I really did consider renting a car and taking myself out of town on an adventure. I even had my credit card out to book the car (online). But two things stopped me – 1) it’s "schoolies week". Which means all the kids who’ve just graduated 12th grade/high school all go down to the Gold Coast and get rip roarin’ drunk for the entire week, starting this past Friday (drinking age here is 18). And get this – the parents actually buy their kids all the booze and whatnot that they need; they pack bags of food and coolers of beer for these kids to take with them to go party down at the Gold Coast. Their parents actually help. So it’s like Ft. Lauderdale only crawling with drunken 18 year-olds. I can’t think of a worse place to be, well, next to Ft. Lauderdale. So heading south was definitely out of the question. So then I thought of Rockhampton, the "Beef Capital of Queensland". It’s where my Grandad was based out of WWII and I just wanted to go have a look. And to try the steaks too, I suppose, when in Rome. So I had a look at the map and it really only looks about 4 hours north of Brisbane. Well. Reason #2) why I didn’t leave town – It takes 7-8 hours on a two-lane road (one coming, one going). Eeek. So that was duly ruled out. And then I ran out of ideas and time. I’ll figure it all out. Promise.

And that’s about it. Time for bed. Hope you’re all well up there!

BYE!
J!

No comments:

Eating Pizza and Reading eBooks with Crickets on New Rugs.......!

Hi! Well. Here we are, waaaay late but I guess that was expected............. am sorry. I've planned on checking in each week...