Monday, March 23, 2009

Cultured Bees & Other Gems

Hi!


Well. First off, sorry am late. Yesterday was a busy day, culturally speaking – art galleries, dinner out, concert, etc and didn’t get home until late. And even now, Monday evening, even with the whole day off, am writing a bit later than usual (but the time has been cut in less than half – hooray for fast internet!) Otherwise the week was quite good and really productive and even went by pretty fast!


So work. Yep. Is good. Getting pretty close to finishing my big RoboHelp project. And after all that it was really kinda easy! I mean, it’s not a fancy website or anything, that’s not quite what the program does, but my little project looks a heck of a lot better than how it used to originally! And so far, the folks that I’m doing this for are reallyreally happy! Hooray! And the best part is, with the invaluable help of the two IT guys in my section, together we muddled through and taught, well, myself, how to use it. So for fun I looked up how much it would’ve cost to take a course in what I’ve just done, maaaan, I saved our department $1,900 by being, well, smart! When I finish it and get it “published” I’ll figure out a way for you to see it. It’s dull as mud for anyone not interested in fire department policies and procedures, etc, but if I can show you kinda what I do as part of my work day, cool! Otherwise, all’s well on the work front. Still always soooooo happy to have a gig that I really like!!!! Here’s hoping I get to hang around after June (when my “new” contract extension expires)!?


And then the weekend. Friday...... was quiet. Watched a new episode of “Rebus” – British TV series based on the Scottish crime book series by Ian Rankin. It’s always been one of my favorites. Bummer is, they can only cram so much into one hour! Gaaaahhhh! But the TV series is actually pretty good compared to how bad some books try to transfer over. If you like character-based crime novels, I highly recommend the Inspector Rebus series. By character-based I mean he doesn’t waste pages and pages and pages yammering on about the technical aspects of, well, everything. His main focus is on the characters and what they go through. Hard to explain but suffice to say they ain’t Patricia Cornwell books!


And Saturday. Got the hair cut (and when I got home I put some red in it, just to change the scenery a little). I know it sounds stupid to get it cut when I’m trying to grow it out. And sometimes I fell like a fool for not being able to ride out the gangly growing-out months, because I’ve done this before. But towards the end, just before this trim, I really couldn’t take it anymore. Ehhh. It’ll grow eventually! And the rest of the day was errands. I don’t know why I do it to myself sometimes, but I really need to remember that one of my least favorite places to be on a lovely Saturday afternoon is the Queen Street Mall. Too many people! But the day was a success, not too much money was spent, supplies are restocked, life is good.


And Sunday. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. What a fantastic day that was! Was a busy bee actually, did all the chores in the a.m. then quickly put myself together to go meet Sarah (gal I work with and sometimes Ikea buddy) in town at the GoMA (Gallery of Modern Art) to go see a show by an artist she quite likes (I thought it was “interesting”, as is my usual reaction to Modern Art). And then we wandered from one gallery exhibit to another which turned out to be chocked full of really cool Aboriginal art – some traditional, lots modern, lots contemporary – it was way awesome. I love Aboriginal art – oldest art style on the planet! And then we headed into town to meet Bruce (another cool guy I work for/with) for dinner. Ha, went to the same Italian place that made me so sick a couple weeks ago. I guess I like to think trial and error – learn which dishes the place can’t do and don’t have those again! So dumb, but the food seems like a good idea at the time. And bonus – this time it didn’t make me sick! And then the 3 of us headed over to My Favorite Concert Venue in the World – Riverstage (http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/BCC:STANDARD:774327531:pc=PC_1798), to go see Chris Isaak from the comfort of our 3rd row center seats!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was an awesomely fantastically bitchin’ cool show!!!!!!!!! (apologies for the crappy quality pictures, I used the camera on my cell phone cos I didn't know you could bring real cameras into the gig!) I swear, even if you’re not much of a fan it’s such a great show to see. He’s such a charasmatic performer and you can really tell that the band genuinely love what they do. They’re funny, fulla energy, talented, everything. They’ve been together for 25 years so they clearly get along and are onto a good thing! I can’t trumpet the show enough. Just go next time he’s in town, heck, maybe I’ll even help you pay for the ticket – it’s worth every penny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


And then today, Monday, was a bit of a slow, yet busy, day. I got a couple little things done, like cancelled my way overpriced remedial massage appointments with my day spa as they suddenly decided to charge me $100 bucks – I about had a heart attack, so have found a new, much cheaper place to try. And, speaking of heart attacks, I booked myself an appointment to have my will drawn up! It’s free through the Queensland Public Trustee’s office. Cool. Have been meaning to do this for yeeeeears, well, since living overseas, and that’s going on, my god, 7 some odd years now. Wow. Just so if something were to happen people know what to do with all my Ikea crap (donate it to the Blind Foundation), etc. Then Sarah came around, cos we both had the day off from work, cos we can, so we decided to go wander around Ikea, which is always a hundred times better to do on a weekday than a weekend – lot less screaming children. I think it was one of my cheaper trips to Ikea – clocked in only $25 bucks spent (bookends, candles, lint roller, the usual)! I love Ikea. I know it’s sad and their stuff, for the most part, is particle-board, I know this but I can‘t help it. And it’s even kinda torturous in that my place will never look as cool as some of their displays, but otherwise usually inspirational.


And then I got home and looked at my little cell phone to see I’d missed a call. Awwwwwwww, turns out it was the Yamaha Dealer – they sold my Wee Scooter and when did I want to come in and collect my check? They sold it for $1,790 and they’re only going to take $90 for their cut cos they’re nice and cool, plus they ended up selling the guy a jacket and a helmet. The Wee Scooter is apparently going to live a happy and cared-for new life with a Metro Boy. Awwwww. May he look after it as well as I did and get many happy miles out of it!


And then tomorrow – have made the executive decision and am taking the day off. Cos I can. Cos I need one day of no running around or errands! I think the most I plan to do is go to the grocery store and post office – just 2 minutes down the road! I have the time saved up, it’s kinda quiet at work as there seem to be lots of folks on vacation at the moment, so what the hell, I earned it! Hooray!


So there you go. Hope you’re all well up there! Come down here for a visit, and if Chris Isaak comes to a town near you – GO!


BYE!

J!

No comments:

Eating Pizza and Reading eBooks with Crickets on New Rugs.......!

Hi! Well. Here we are, waaaay late but I guess that was expected............. am sorry. I've planned on checking in each week...