Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Corporate Gods Like Offerings of Pizza & Post-Its

Hi!

Well. Magic Mountain has nothing on the week I’ve had. They ought to invent some kind of Corporate Roller Coaster based on weeks like this. But then it was Friday and the weekend (all one day of it – Hooray for that Corpo
rate Roller Coaster and its dips!). Yeah. And now look – it’s already Sunday evening. Sigh.

So work. Yeah. Hmmm. Is basically, technically, perfectly fine and good and busy. The beginning of the week started on quite a high note (folks I like that had been away for quite a few weeks had returned, I’ve wrapped up two of my big time-consuming projects) and my boss was singing my praises to anyone who would stand still long enough. And then, I don’t know, the Corporate Gods thought that was too much and decided to throw a “spanner in the works” and mess with me. Thursday 8.00am dawned bright and cheerful. By 8.05am my day had taken a shift to the very bad. Long story short, and because I don’t want to get done for any kind of Internet Corporate Badmouthing, it was a bad day right through and I was apparently doing not so great a job. Hmmm. Damn those Corporate Gods. And all because I thought I was using initiative in proposing a Sunday of ‘bustin’ some work out’ session with a few folks I work with (higher-ups I might add, who were all for it). That’s all I’ll say. But the folks I work with were behind me and Sunday’s work sesh continued on regardless and was a screaming success. We got lots done, thus saving us weeks of work. In our minds we know I rock. So hopefully this coming week should be smooth sailing….. you hear me, Corporate Gods??! Maybe I should really set up that alter to them after all…… with offerings of chocolate, post-its, paper clips, ‘sign here’ tabs, cans of Coke………….

And then it was Friday! Went out to dinner with a couple people I work with. It was most excellent. Went to a BBQ rib place called Blue Smoke
in New Farm; made by, paid by, driven by Americans! Apparently the owner is from Maryland and 2 of the staff that I talked to that night are from the US, one from New Orleans and the other was from Oklahoma. Wow. I even heard a smattering of others at nearby tables. I asked if they were going to be having an election night party and it hadn’t occurred to them – yet! So hopefully they will! Will call them and rattle their cage next week sometime. I think it’d be neat. And they even had cornbread, southern style with a bit of spice to it. All in all it was gooooooood. Tho I must say the BBQ sauce was a bit thick and sweet for my liking, but I think that’s just the east coast/southern way of doing it. It was gooooooooood either way. Then we continued on to the nearby 'hood of Teneriffe for a look around (it’s on the river) and a couple fancy drinks/wine. Man, Teneriffe is niiiiiice, but the odor of botox, plastic and leather car interiors was overpowering. And everyone was young and very white. It was kinda creepy. Like some kind of pod people neighborhood. The wine was nice tho. I think I’ve mentioned Teneriffe before, but it’s where all the all wool storage warehouses have been converted into very fancy pants apartments and lofts. So there you go. Just add the word “warehouse conversion” to any real estate brochure and you automatically double your money. It kinda looks like a snapshot of just the nice parts of Brooklyn, minus the fire escapes on the outside and varied cultures.

And th
en Saturday was chores and relaxing. Yeah. Needed it after that week. And today was work. It was good. We got so much done. Our rationale for it was that during a normal day we get interrupted too much. So there, we busted it out and now have a much better idea what we’re working with and what needs to be done (a fraction of what we thought we were going to have to do). It was good. Yes, a bummer to have to come in on a lovely sunny Sunday, but way worth it in the long run. Plus, we had a good time, went to breakfast, ordered pizza for lunch, yeah. It was a good (work) day. And now here I am! It’s bloody hot, tho I know this is nothing yet. And Kona chased a skink to the back of the fridge where it’s died. Ahhhhhhhh. In this heat and humidity, there is no smell quite like it. And I can’t move the fridge to get to it because I’m afraid the damn thing will fall apart, that the rust is the only thing holding it all together. Just a couple days of this smell and the flies should have done what they’re on this planet to do. Hopefully. Thankfully, I’ll be at work!

And that’s that! Whew. Well, I hope you’re all well up there. I wouldn’t bother trying to get down here until, ohhhh, March, April next year, ‘cos if it’s this hot and gross now, awww man, there’s like another 5 months of this. Ugh. I don’t deal with humidity very well. Waaaah. But if you like it, c’mon down! We’ll go to places that are air-conditioned! Hooray!

BYE!
J!

No comments:

Eating Pizza and Reading eBooks with Crickets on New Rugs.......!

Hi! Well. Here we are, waaaay late but I guess that was expected............. am sorry. I've planned on checking in each week...