Sunday, April 13, 2008

Screening Orchids for Work

Hi!

Well. That was a fairly speedy week. And the weekend, well, much like last weekend - far too speedy.

So work. Yep. Is good. Finally had a couple little things to do. Thing is, I get so excited to have something real to do (even if it is just sending out an email to set up a meeting with 2 other people to talk about the final touches to an update of a manual), that I bust it out in two minutes and then have another 7 hours and 28 minutes with which to try to keep myself entertained. And I've asked the other two gals in my office if they have anything I can help with. Thing is, at the moment, I don't think any of us has much to do........ Hmmmm, hope it's not a 'quiet before the storm' kinda thing, I hate surprises like that. Hmmm, perhaps this is still settling-in time. Ok. But man I wish I had stuff to do. I wish I knew the systems well enough to create myself some stuff to do! Gosh, am half tempted to pick up some of the new gal's slack from my last job downstairs..... She only works part time...... Oooohhh weeee, until my new boss finds out am moonlighting! Then NO job! Sigh. Boredom it is............

And then the weekend. Saturday - chores and reading. Am trying to get through "Uncle Tom's Cabin" because I've never read it and always thought I should. Hmmm. Might have to let this one go back to the library half-finished. It's good, but like "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee", it's pretty sad and tough going sometimes. Y'know how on the weekends, or when there's nothing on tv, you just want something to read that, well, at the very least doesn't make you feel sad? Hmmm. Maybe I'll go back to the James Bond series. Those are really good little books, minus all the silly special effects.

And today, Sunday, was errand day. My goodness. I've been on a mission all week to create a screen for the top of my desk at work. They put me at the reception desk and while it's rare that people wander past looking for someone and ask me where they are, it's still pretty distracting to have people walking into and out of their offices and going to the coffee pot. Especially when they make their cups of coffee on my desk. So, I went first to Bunnings Warehouse (exactly like Home Depot, only much smaller) a couple suburbs away (because people who live in the city have no business making or fixing stuff, so they put useful stuff in the 'burbs) thinking I'd make myself a 3- or 4-part mini Japanese folding screen divider. After seeing how much work that was gonna be, and me with no tools other than a hammer and screwdriver (which, granted, you can do most things with), I decided that was gonna be far too much work for a Sunday afternoon - cos I want this thing for tomorrow! So I bought some hinges and took myself to the mini-mall near my work, to the dollar shops, and picked up two longish canvases, 2 boring little vases and 2 silk orchids. Brought it all home, screwed the hinges in to the canvases, set up the flowers and bam - I have a bit of privacy. It's kinda hokey, just until I can figure what to paint or attach to the canvases. But for now, it'll happily do. Man, I wish I had a house, a workshop and some tools. I'd make all kinds of cool stuff then.

And that's about it! I feel like I'm in perpetually in Savings Lockdown mode (the canvas screen went to the "home improvements" part of my budget) - always saving for something. This time, besides saving for more Ikea stuff, am saving for Mom's visit. It's awesome to have 8 days PAID off of work (you wanna talk about novelty there), but stuff to do costs dough. So am saving for that too. Always trying to save.

So there you are. Little dull, but there it is. Hope you're all well up there! Book a flight and c'mon down, cos I looked at flights for me to come up there around Xmas and ain't no way am I spending $3,500!!!!!!!!!!!! So you guys have to get your butts down here! Besides, I've been there - none of you have been here!!!!!!!!!!!! HA!

BYE!
J!

No comments:

Eating Pizza and Reading eBooks with Crickets on New Rugs.......!

Hi! Well. Here we are, waaaay late but I guess that was expected............. am sorry. I've planned on checking in each week...