Sunday, December 30, 2012

Holiday Times Are Here Again!

Festiveness at South Bank!
Hi!

Well. Here we are, although a bit later than I intended. I think I just plum forgot to check in last weekend, which is weird but no surprise considering how hot and muggy it's been (it is still summer after all and will be until, ohhh about March. Ugh), and when it's that hot and muggy and I'm here in this little toaster-oven of an apartment, my brain goes to mush and I forget stuff, or rather, other stuff takes priority (like a man-glass of ice water, the fan and episodes of magnum PI). And also, when it's that hot I don't like to have the little computer on, not after running it in wicked heat a couple summers ago and it died, like dead died. So call my being late self/computer-preservation! But, we're here now! Thankfully it's not as hot and gross today as it usually is and therefore my brain (and computer) should work! And to help with it not being so gross today, there's a good breeze that actually seems to help, got some hip n' groovy lounge tunes courtesy of my favorite internet radio station ev-er, SkyFM, got a man-glass of ice water (never fear, the standby glass of cool white wine will come shortly) - life is good!


So work. Yep. Is good. Has been bloody busy right until the bitter end, just before we went on the Xmas break. Thankfully tho, I made such a good dentAnother day at the office.... in my list with the little red flags that when I get back there'll only be a couple things do to, not the standard 20 or so that had been staring at me. Whew! Still, happy to have the work while I can! And there's still no word about my contract ending in March, if the gal who's job I'm sort of babysitting will come back (from having her kid)...... We had a gal quit but no word yet if they'll replace her, then again she was only part-time..... So a lot of unknowns with my job at the moment....... I'd look for other work but don't think the good want ads will be fired up until the end of Jan, early Feb...... worth a look tho.... but yes, hrmmm indeed. All I can do is show up, bust my rump and hope for the best!

And then there were the weekends...... Last, last Sandy Holiday Fun!weekend I did some stuff...... trying to remember... I know, that Saturday I got a bit of cabin-fever and went on a good walk over the StoryMore Sand Castley Fun! Bridge, down and around Kangaroo Point, along the river and over to South Bank where I stopped for some much-needed air-conditioning and lunch at the Ship Inn.... Then continued on to the galleries, stumbling across the cooooooolest Sandy Cookaburra and Sulfur Crested Cockatoo!sand castle(!) along the way, but by the time I got to the galleries they'd closed for the day, and then finally treating mahself to a bus ride home! Whew! Was a good walk but hot. See, the day starts offNo idea who this is supposed to be....... nice and normal but the heat sneaks up on you and before you know it, you're a little melted puddle of person. And that Sunday... why didn't I check in.....? Maybe all I did was that walk and chores and I figured no one would be remotely interested? Probably what I was thinking. I'm pretty sure naps were involved......

And last weekend, I'm pretty sure I really did get up to nothing. It was Fishing under the Story Bridge......getting to the end of work and stuff so it was all I, or anyone else, could do to hold it together until the break. Kind of a head down and just keep going until it's over kind of thinking...... Again, I'm pretty sure naps were involved tho. Although this past Monday, the 24th, I did head into town to met my friend Kim for a few glasses of pre-Xmas champagne at the lovely atrium bar at the Hilton (one of our favorite spots)... That was dangerously nice. Then I headed towards home for some lunch and to see the new James Bond "Skyfall" (yes, again. Hey, I liked it!). That was a really nice day. The kind of day I could totally get used to... Now if only I could buy a winning lottery ticket.....!

And then there was Xmas. I unfortunately didn't spend it as the token orphanJan, Quinn (little person) and Milo (errr, little dog)! with the Adcock family as I've done for the past 5 years, no, I joined my friend Jan and her family for an equally nice and relaxed day. Again, the food was fantastic, as always. This whole thing of having cold and BBQ'd Everybody has to cool off at Xmas!seafood - scallops and prawns and Moreton Bay Bug (it may not sound at all pleasant, but I assure you it most certainly is!), just never gets old. And there was also the obligatory traditional hot food - ham with chestnuts, veggies, and just more food (and drink) than folks could possibly eat. It wasn't a big crowd, just her immediate family and nieces, their husbands and kids, and dogs of course - of which there were Pups have the right idea!four! Finally, come the afternoon it was time for a dip in the pool - lead by the dogs! I neglected to bring my "togs" (locals' term for bathing suit. Cute, isn't it?) but from the looks on the pups' and people's faces, it looked like a good idea. It was a really niiiiice day. Nice that so many folks are so willing to have an orphan crash their Xmas!

And then Thursday I thought I'd be brave and take mahself Post-Post-Xmas Crowds at Ikeato Ikealand, thinking people would have gotten it all out of their system by then. Oooooooh was I ever so wrong. It actually looked a lot worse than it turned out to be; guess folks just wanted the cheap breakfast and no shopping. I of course can't leave the place empty-New 'Welcome Home' View!car'd, having successfully brought home a new laundry basket (biiig, wicker, nice, like normal people as opposed to my old canvas folding bag/stand), a new rug (errrr, photos to come) and a new plant-stand. I had this kind of sorry group of potted succulents I'd been looking at and nursing along for years now, just outside my front door. Well. I decided I was sick of looking at their sorry selves when I'd get home in the evening after work, hence the new stand and couple of plants (I'll let you guess which of the three are real and which are falsies!). I really like it. Funny how just a couple little things can change an outlook.

And then here we are now, Sunday afternoon, just before New Years, back to Much better than those poor half-dead succulents.......work on Wednesday........ Man, I wish I was independently wealthy. Not sure about plans for New Year's.... probably pizza and games with the usual suspects like we've done the last, what, three years I think? Otherwise, movies and bed? I've never really been a big huge New Year's person, even when I lived in NYC. Huh. Maybe one year it'd be fun to splash out and go to one of those massive parties like in the movies where you have to dress nice, wear a sparkly party hat and are always holding a glass of champagne? That'd be fun. Once. I guess to me, my "New Year" is mah birthday - that starts my new year of stuff, not some silly Romans telling me when to do stuff! But either way, it's a couple more days off work!

So there you have it. Sorry for not checking in. I'll try to be better at it, no matter if it's Adventures or Chores! Otherwise, I hope you're all well and happy up there! Hey, if you think you can't take the winter any longer, c'mon down and defrost Queensland style - we'll have you melted in no time!

BYE!
J!
Happy Geraniums at Pier 39, SF!

No comments:

Eating Pizza and Reading eBooks with Crickets on New Rugs.......!

Hi! Well. Here we are, waaaay late but I guess that was expected............. am sorry. I've planned on checking in each week...